Gougeres Recipe: A Delicious French Delight
Gougeres are a traditional French pastry made from choux pastry dough and grated cheese. The dough is typically piped into small rounds and baked until golden brown, resulting in a light and airy pastry with a crispy exterior and a soft, chewy interior. This delightful pastry is a perfect addition to any dinner party or get-together, and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or as a snack. In this post, we will share a step-by-step guide on how to make this classic French dish.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the flour all at once and stir until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Stir in the grated Gruyere cheese, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag or a resealable plastic bag with a corner snipped off.
- Pipe the dough into 1-inch rounds onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches of space between each round.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the gougeres are golden brown and puffed up.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- For an extra burst of flavor, add a pinch of garlic powder or paprika to the dough before piping.
- Experiment with different types of cheese, such as Parmesan or Cheddar, for a unique twist on this classic recipe.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, you can spoon the dough onto the baking sheet instead.
- Gougeres can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes before serving.
In conclusion, Gougeres are a delicious and easy-to-make French pastry that will impress your guests and leave them wanting more. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create these light and airy pastries that are perfect for any occasion. So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself just how amazing these little delights can be!